We are in the seventh week of the quarter and we are rapidly approaching our second track-out of the year. Please see below for important information for this week and beyond:
1. I have created a Quizlet for our last set of vocabulary words for this quarter. Use the link quizlet.com/_40zdb0 to study for the quiz, which will be on Monday, November 20.
2. Students are immersed in their nonfiction magazine projects, which will take them through to the end of the quarter. The due date in November 30, and the project guidelines and requirements have been added to our Google Classroom. Remember--this project will be used for 3 separate grades this quarter - 1 in Social Studies and 2 in Language Arts, so do not procrastinate and do your very best on all parts of the project.
3. There is a new ReadWorks assigned for this week, but it will not be due until November 21, which is the early-release day before Thanksgiving break. This gives students some extra time to complete the passage and questions.
4. We will take our Quarter 2 Benchmark Assessment this Thur/Fri, November 16-17. No extra study is required, but students will benefit from a good night's sleep and a nutritious breakfast. I am eager to see the growth and progress we have made from Quarter 1!
Enjoy the week!
It's hard to believe that we are beginning the 5th week of the quarter! See below for this week's items:
1. Please continue to stay current with your vocabulary notebook. I have created the Quizlet for the vocabulary quiz, which will be Tuesday, November 7. https://quizlet.com/_3y9nlo
2. This week's homework passage is assigned in ReadWorks - be aware that there are 2 question sets with it - one comprehension and one compare/contrast. Complete BOTH, as I will average the two grades for the grade book.
3. We will begin studying nonfiction text structures this week, in preparation for our end-of-quarter nonfiction project.
4. Our second benchmark assessment is rapidly approaching - Nov. 16-17. I am looking forward to seeing lots of improvement from Quarter 1 scores!
Have a great week!
Hello all and happy Wednesday!
1. Students have been practicing identifying main idea in nonfiction text, as well as summarizing nonfiction passages. We will have a quiz on these skills tomorrow, October 19.
2. Our first vocabulary quiz of the quarter will be next Tuesday, October 24, on words #21-30 in the digital notebook. I have posted a practice Quizlet in our Google Classroom to help prepare for this; I suggest using the flashcards and the matching game to study.
3. This week's homework passage is posted in ReadWorks. Remember that starting this quarter, all ReadWorks passage scores will be entered into PowerSchool - do your best and use the text to answer the comprehension questions!
4. Students MUST keep up with the bi-weekly writing prompts in their ELA composition notebooks this quarter. It will help improve writing skills, as well as provide a place for students to express themselves on a variety of relevant topics. Writing prompts are posted on the whiteboard each Tuesday for the week and must be completed by Friday afternoon.
Have a good rest-of-the-week!
Hello! Please see below for this week's important information:
1. Homework has been posted in ReadWorks - another opinion passage, this time about violence in video games. The students really enjoy and engage with these passages because they are very relevant to their lives right now.
2. We started back with our Word of the Day vocabulary work today. As a reminder, students are expected to create a Power Point slide in their digital notebooks for each word. I also create a Quizlet for each group of ten words, which they can use to study for their vocabulary quiz every two weeks. The first vocabulary quiz this quarter will be on Tuesday, October 24.
3. Today I gave the students a pretest to gauge their level of understanding about nonfiction. Using this information, we will begin by studying nonfiction purpose, main ideas, and summarization before continuing with text features and text structures later in the quarter. We will finish the unit with a magazine project that requires students to use all that they have learned about nonfiction.
4. This Friday we will host storyteller Donna Washington in an in-school enrichment activity. If you have not yet paid for your student's field trips this year, the online payment system is still open. You can find it on the West Lake webpage under the Parents tab.
Have a great week!
We are settling back into our routine this week and I wanted to make you aware of a few items:
1. I have posted this week's homework assignment to ReadWorks.; it is an opinion passage about school access to student internet usage - very applicable right now!
2. We will not start back with our daily vocabulary and grammar practice until next week. This week we will review the vocabulary from Quarter 1 to be sure it is not lost information. Next week, be sure you bring your devices to use, as no one is guaranteed the use of a laptop every day.
3. This quarter we will focus mainly on nonfiction, but we begin with a mini-unit on storytelling and the oral tradition in order to prepare for our in-school field trip to see Donna Washington perform.
4. If you have not yet returned your field trip consent forms or paid online for the field trips, please do so as soon as possible - we want all students to be able to participate in these experiences!
That's all for now - have a great week!
I hope you all had a fun and restful break! We will dive right back into our curriculum next week with nonfiction, vocabulary, and literature circles. Make sure you start getting more sleep so that you are ready to work on Monday!
One critical item - I just sent out an email to several students about their personal narratives. If you receive this email, it means that I did not get a personal narrative from you at the end of the first quarter before we tracked out! Remember, this was a 3-week project that is weighted the same as a test grade - you do not want to have a 0 in the grade book for this! If you completed your narrative, please share it with me in Google Docs immediately so it can be graded and entered into PowerSchool. If you have not completed it, finish it as soon as you can and share it with me in Google Docs. I must finalize grades by Sunday evening, so you still have time to finish it!
See you all soon!
We are finishing a very productive quarter tomorrow and I wanted to take the opportunity to tell you how much I have enjoyed transitioning to West Lake Middle this year! I am looking forward to a restful break and then continuing our 7th grade journey in October. Please see below for some last-minute information for tomorrow:
1. I still need personal narratives from several students! This is the equivalent of a test grade, so it MUST be submitted by the end of day tomorrow! Parents, please check with your students to be sure they have submitted their narrative. If you or they are unsure, please email me and I will tell you! :)
2. Be sure to return the bright orange consent forms tomorrow if you haven't already done so. These cover the movie tomorrow afternoon, as well as all three enrichment experiences throughout the school year.
3. If you check grades Power School and you still have missing work, it is not too late to turn it in and get rid of a zero in the grade book! I will accept work until the end of day tomorrow - finish the quarter strong!
Have a safe and relaxing break! :)
Happy Week #8! Please see the items below for important ELA information for this week:
1. Today and tomorrow, we are taking our ELA benchmark test. As I told the students, this is not a grade in the grade book, nor can they study for it. It is simply a way for me to measure their capabilities at the start of the year. We will take benchmarks at the end of 2nd and 3rd quarter as well, in order to fully prepare for the EOG test in May.
2. On Friday we will have our Short Story unit test. This will be the same format as last Friday's quiz on "The Monkey's Paw"; students will read a story and answer comprehension and context clue questions. As a review, I will hold a Smart Block session to go over answers to that quiz on Thursday.
3. I have posted the practice quizlet for our second vocabulary quiz, which will be on Wednesday, September 6. The format will again be definition matching and context fill-in-the-blank. I strongly encourage students to begin studying for the quiz this week - do not leave it all to Tuesday night!
4. Because of the benchmark testing and the short story unit test, we will not have homework passages on Readworks this week. Please use your homework time to study vocabulary!
**During the last week of Quarter 1, students will type the final copy of their personal narratives, take the vocabulary quiz, and makeup any other quizzes/tests that are missing. Please have your students let me know ASAP if they will be absent any of the days between now and September 8, so that I can arrange for them to complete all of their work before the quarter ends.
Hello all...lots of important information for the coming week - please read carefully!
1. Please return your signed interim if you have not already done so. This ensures that students, parents, and teachers are all on the same page about academic progress.
2. Also, please return your signed activity permission slip for the eclipse tomorrow. Even though we are not viewing the eclipse outside, your signed permission slip indicates your awareness of the risks.
3. ReadWorks passages have been posted for the week. They include an opinion article about virtual education and a fictional story about a solar eclipse. Complete them by Friday!
4. We will have two quizzes this week:
5. Someone left a phone in my classroom on Friday, possibly during 8th period. Please let me know if you are missing your phone!
About Mrs. Baldyga
Hello and welcome to 7th Grade Language Arts. I am excited to guide you through reading and writing this year.