Happy Week #8! Please see the items below for important ELA information for this week:
1. Today and tomorrow, we are taking our ELA benchmark test. As I told the students, this is not a grade in the grade book, nor can they study for it. It is simply a way for me to measure their capabilities at the start of the year. We will take benchmarks at the end of 2nd and 3rd quarter as well, in order to fully prepare for the EOG test in May.
2. On Friday we will have our Short Story unit test. This will be the same format as last Friday's quiz on "The Monkey's Paw"; students will read a story and answer comprehension and context clue questions. As a review, I will hold a Smart Block session to go over answers to that quiz on Thursday.
3. I have posted the practice quizlet for our second vocabulary quiz, which will be on Wednesday, September 6. The format will again be definition matching and context fill-in-the-blank. I strongly encourage students to begin studying for the quiz this week - do not leave it all to Tuesday night!
4. Because of the benchmark testing and the short story unit test, we will not have homework passages on Readworks this week. Please use your homework time to study vocabulary!
**During the last week of Quarter 1, students will type the final copy of their personal narratives, take the vocabulary quiz, and makeup any other quizzes/tests that are missing. Please have your students let me know ASAP if they will be absent any of the days between now and September 8, so that I can arrange for them to complete all of their work before the quarter ends.
Hello all...lots of important information for the coming week - please read carefully!
1. Please return your signed interim if you have not already done so. This ensures that students, parents, and teachers are all on the same page about academic progress.
2. Also, please return your signed activity permission slip for the eclipse tomorrow. Even though we are not viewing the eclipse outside, your signed permission slip indicates your awareness of the risks.
3. ReadWorks passages have been posted for the week. They include an opinion article about virtual education and a fictional story about a solar eclipse. Complete them by Friday!
4. We will have two quizzes this week:
5. Someone left a phone in my classroom on Friday, possibly during 8th period. Please let me know if you are missing your phone!
Don't forget to complete and submit your ReadWorks passages by the end of tomorrow to receive full credit for your homework this week. Also, we will have a short quiz on figurative language at the start of the period tomorrow. Review your practice passage from today and see below for more practice resources!
About Mrs. Baldyga
Hello and welcome to 7th Grade Language Arts. I am excited to guide you through reading and writing this year.