Welcome to Quarter 4! It's astonishing to me that we are in the home stretch of 7th grade. We have grown so much this year, but I want all students to keep their focus and finish the year strong. Please see below for several items as we begin the 4th Quarter.
1. On Tuesday, we took the WCPSS Performance Task for Writing. Students did a wonderful job of reading, planning, and writing their essays - it was encouraging to see them put into place all of the writing skills we have practiced this year. The performance task is scored externally and we expect to receive student scores mid-July.
2. Our units of study this quarter will include:
3. We will continue to practice our EOG skills as we near the end-of-grade testing window. These skills include direct reading comprehension, making inferences, author's purpose, main idea/theme, story elements, figurative language, and general multiple-choice test-taking strategies.
4. For our independent novel study, students will be expected to select and read a novel of their choice, while working through a project over the course of several weeks. Students should select a novel they have not yet read, and once we begin the project, they will not be permitted to change; I encourage students to select their novel carefully. Any genre of fiction is permitted (except for graphic novels), and each student's selection must be approved before we begin the project. Students should have selected their novel by
As always, please email me directly if you have specific questions!
We have made it to the last week of the quarter! Please see below for the updated calendar for Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I have pushed the final test to Thursday to ensure that all students complete the reading and the chapter work.
Please check Power School to be sure that you are not missing any work. Turn in all work by Friday for credit.
Apologies for the delay in this post - I have been out sick with the flu since Monday. I am hoping that our novel study will not get off-track, so I am posting the reading/activity calendar that we will try to follow for the rest of the quarter. Please know that minor changes might be necessary as we work through the novel.
On another note, I have had several questions about missing grades. I apologize for this - I am trying to get grades updated as quickly as possible. If your student is missing a grade, it does not mean he/she didn't turn the work in. You need only be concerned if there is a "0" entered.
Please email me separately with any individual questions. I hope everyone stays healthy!
Hello to all!
We've had a wild start to our third quarter - all of the snow days have made it difficult to establish consistency in the second half of the school year. Fortunately, the weather seems to be behind us. Please see below for important new information, as well as a few procedural reminders:
1. NOVEL STUDY
Our timeline for a novel study during Quarter 3 has been pushed back due to the lost days of school. Please follow the link below for information on the novel study, as well as short survey to help me determine the need for novel copies within our track. The survey is completely anonymous; if you have concerns you'd like to communicate to me, please email me separately!
**Info / Link: goo.gl/forms/xf6koE6qVzQmLwTk1
2. HOMEWORK / CLASSWORK:
Just as in Quarters 1 and 2, most homework and classwork will be assigned through ReadWorks, where students have online access to passages and comprehension questions. Last week, before the snow, two Martin Luther King passages were assigned but many students did not complete them before our days off. These passages are DUE no later than this Friday. There are no new ReadWorks passages for this week. Homework time should be spent studying vocabulary words.
We are continuing our vocabulary program with our Word of the Day digital notebooks. After each set of 10 words, we will have a quiz covering definitions and contextual use. As always, there will be a quizlet for each set of words to help students study for the quiz. Our first vocabulary quiz of the quarter will be this Friday, January 26. The quizlet can be found at:
Let me know if you have any questions!
We are in the seventh week of the quarter and we are rapidly approaching our second track-out of the year. Please see below for important information for this week and beyond:
1. I have created a Quizlet for our last set of vocabulary words for this quarter. Use the link quizlet.com/_40zdb0 to study for the quiz, which will be on Monday, November 20.
2. Students are immersed in their nonfiction magazine projects, which will take them through to the end of the quarter. The due date in November 30, and the project guidelines and requirements have been added to our Google Classroom. Remember--this project will be used for 3 separate grades this quarter - 1 in Social Studies and 2 in Language Arts, so do not procrastinate and do your very best on all parts of the project.
3. There is a new ReadWorks assigned for this week, but it will not be due until November 21, which is the early-release day before Thanksgiving break. This gives students some extra time to complete the passage and questions.
4. We will take our Quarter 2 Benchmark Assessment this Thur/Fri, November 16-17. No extra study is required, but students will benefit from a good night's sleep and a nutritious breakfast. I am eager to see the growth and progress we have made from Quarter 1!
Enjoy the week!
It's hard to believe that we are beginning the 5th week of the quarter! See below for this week's items:
1. Please continue to stay current with your vocabulary notebook. I have created the Quizlet for the vocabulary quiz, which will be Tuesday, November 7. https://quizlet.com/_3y9nlo
2. This week's homework passage is assigned in ReadWorks - be aware that there are 2 question sets with it - one comprehension and one compare/contrast. Complete BOTH, as I will average the two grades for the grade book.
3. We will begin studying nonfiction text structures this week, in preparation for our end-of-quarter nonfiction project.
4. Our second benchmark assessment is rapidly approaching - Nov. 16-17. I am looking forward to seeing lots of improvement from Quarter 1 scores!
Have a great week!
Hello all and happy Wednesday!
1. Students have been practicing identifying main idea in nonfiction text, as well as summarizing nonfiction passages. We will have a quiz on these skills tomorrow, October 19.
2. Our first vocabulary quiz of the quarter will be next Tuesday, October 24, on words #21-30 in the digital notebook. I have posted a practice Quizlet in our Google Classroom to help prepare for this; I suggest using the flashcards and the matching game to study.
3. This week's homework passage is posted in ReadWorks. Remember that starting this quarter, all ReadWorks passage scores will be entered into PowerSchool - do your best and use the text to answer the comprehension questions!
4. Students MUST keep up with the bi-weekly writing prompts in their ELA composition notebooks this quarter. It will help improve writing skills, as well as provide a place for students to express themselves on a variety of relevant topics. Writing prompts are posted on the whiteboard each Tuesday for the week and must be completed by Friday afternoon.
Have a good rest-of-the-week!
Hello! Please see below for this week's important information:
1. Homework has been posted in ReadWorks - another opinion passage, this time about violence in video games. The students really enjoy and engage with these passages because they are very relevant to their lives right now.
2. We started back with our Word of the Day vocabulary work today. As a reminder, students are expected to create a Power Point slide in their digital notebooks for each word. I also create a Quizlet for each group of ten words, which they can use to study for their vocabulary quiz every two weeks. The first vocabulary quiz this quarter will be on Tuesday, October 24.
3. Today I gave the students a pretest to gauge their level of understanding about nonfiction. Using this information, we will begin by studying nonfiction purpose, main ideas, and summarization before continuing with text features and text structures later in the quarter. We will finish the unit with a magazine project that requires students to use all that they have learned about nonfiction.
4. This Friday we will host storyteller Donna Washington in an in-school enrichment activity. If you have not yet paid for your student's field trips this year, the online payment system is still open. You can find it on the West Lake webpage under the Parents tab.
Have a great week!
We are settling back into our routine this week and I wanted to make you aware of a few items:
1. I have posted this week's homework assignment to ReadWorks.; it is an opinion passage about school access to student internet usage - very applicable right now!
2. We will not start back with our daily vocabulary and grammar practice until next week. This week we will review the vocabulary from Quarter 1 to be sure it is not lost information. Next week, be sure you bring your devices to use, as no one is guaranteed the use of a laptop every day.
3. This quarter we will focus mainly on nonfiction, but we begin with a mini-unit on storytelling and the oral tradition in order to prepare for our in-school field trip to see Donna Washington perform.
4. If you have not yet returned your field trip consent forms or paid online for the field trips, please do so as soon as possible - we want all students to be able to participate in these experiences!
That's all for now - have a great week!
I hope you all had a fun and restful break! We will dive right back into our curriculum next week with nonfiction, vocabulary, and literature circles. Make sure you start getting more sleep so that you are ready to work on Monday!
One critical item - I just sent out an email to several students about their personal narratives. If you receive this email, it means that I did not get a personal narrative from you at the end of the first quarter before we tracked out! Remember, this was a 3-week project that is weighted the same as a test grade - you do not want to have a 0 in the grade book for this! If you completed your narrative, please share it with me in Google Docs immediately so it can be graded and entered into PowerSchool. If you have not completed it, finish it as soon as you can and share it with me in Google Docs. I must finalize grades by Sunday evening, so you still have time to finish it!
See you all soon!
About Mrs. Baldyga
Hello and welcome to 7th Grade Language Arts. I am excited to guide you through reading and writing this year.